Thanks to savory spices and a quick-cooking roux, this gumbo cuts back on time (and calories!) and keeps the rich flavor.
- Yield: 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups gumbo and 1 1/2 teaspoons parsley)
- Prep time:40 Minutes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 10 tablespoon fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 4 ounces smoked ham, chopped
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2/3 cup diced celery
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 pound fresh okra pods, sliced
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
- 3/4 pound peeled and deveined large shrimp
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
1. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add flour; cook 1 minute or until lightly browned, stirring constantly with a whisk. Add broth; stir with a whisk until thick. Pour into a bowl; set aside. Wipe pan clean with paper towels.
2. Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in pan over medium heat. Add onion and ham; cook 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add bell pepper and next 4 ingredients (through okra); cook 5 minutes or until vegetables are almost tender, stirring occasionally. Add broth mixture, water, and next 6 ingredients (through tomatoes). Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in shrimp; cook 4 minutes or until shrimp are done. Sprinkle with parsley.