This light and refreshing strawberry-orange dressing from our Test Kitchen will nicely accent any fresh green salad. Use your favorite salad greens or a ready-to-serve package to keep things simple. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen, Greendale, Wisconsin
This recipe is:
- Prep: 10 min. Cook: 10 min. + standing
- Yield: 26 Servings
- 1 medium orange
- 2 cups white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- Using a citrus zester, peel rind from orange in long narrow strips (being careful not to remove pith). In a large saucepan, heat vinegar and sugar to just below the boiling point. Place strawberries in a warm sterilized quart jar; add heated vinegar mixture and orange peel. Cover and let stand in a cool dark place for 10 days.
- Strain mixture through a cheesecloth; discard pulp and orange rind. Pour into a sterilized pint jar. Seal tightly. Store in the refrigerator for up to 6 months. Yield: 1-2/3 cups.
Nutritional Facts 1 tablespoon equals 15 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, trace sodium, 4 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, trace protein. Diabetic Exchange: Free food.
Originally published as Strawberry Orange Vinegar in
April/May 2012, p31